Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Otago Peninsula Challenge

Top international mountain bike riders Marcus Roy, of Invercargill, and Kashi Leuchs, of 

Dunedin, finished eighth and 10th respectively in the 2009 R&R Sport Otago Peninsula 
Challenge. 





To the relief of the 750 riders in the field, the morning’s threatening clouds gave way 
to blue skies and a blustery southwesterly wind by the top of the first climb. This wind 
meant the 43km point-to-point course was buffeted predominantly by a tailwind. 
Christchurch rider Brendon Sharratt led the field out from the start and was the 
eventual race winner with a time of 1:56.54 – beating the record by about 15 minutes. 
The pursuing bunch included Roy and, at times Leuchs. Of that bunch Ash Hough, of 
Papamoa, finished second with a time of 1:59.36 and John Richardson, of Dunedin, 
rounded out the podium with a time of 1:59.38. Roy finished eighth with a time of 
2:02.23, Leuchs crossed the line in 10th with a time of 2:07.14. 


The Otago Peninsula Challenge is the second stop on Roy and Leuchs’ Team RoadCraft 
New Zealand Tour and holds a special place for the team as it is the home event of 
Leuchs. 


“I wasn’t sure what to expect from this race. It’s my first fast, hard race back into it 
after almost four months taking it pretty easy. The RoadCraft tour for me is more about 
enjoying the adventures and seeing the best of New Zealand and I think we saw some of 
the most amazing coastal landscapes you could imagine on this race,” Leuchs said. 
“Obviously, growing up here I have a bit of an affinity to it, so it was a really nice feeling. 
It was nice to ride from my apartment at Living Space straight to the startline,” Leuchs 
said. 


Leuchs joked that he was on the pace for “the first 300m”, but wasn’t ready to start so 
fast. 


“I lost contact with the leaders on the first climb, but then I caught them all at the 
bottom of the downhill – we all bunched up and I thought, ‘yeah, I’m back in it!’ that was 
short-lived – I got dropped on the next climb again,” Leuchs laughed. 
“I did my best, I never let up, but at the same time, I enjoyed the race and looked 
around a bit – what a day it turned out to be.” 
For Roy, the race was about staying in the pursuing bunch, but the wind had other 
ideas. 





“The start was just so fast. We had a tailwind and everyone was just going for it straight 
up the Karetai Track – the first big hill. It all settled in again on the descent of the Buskin 
Track and the second climb everyone relaxed a bit,” Roy said. 
“From that point I just had to stick with the chasing bunch on the hills and use the 
bunch on the gravel road sections. The wind was so strong that I actually got blown off 
the gravel at one stage and by the time I got back on the chasing group had gone. I lost a 
bit of time there, but was just out of touch from that point on,” Roy said. 
“It was a pretty tough course – a lot of up and down for 43km and 1500m of climbing,” 
Roy said. 





The next event on the Team RoadCraft calendar is the Brake Burner SuperD at Coronet 
Peak, a chairlift-assisted six-hour downhill event on February 7. The team will then head 
to the inaugural Alpine Epic 260km four-day stage race from Mt Somers to Tekapo from 
February 25 to 28. The 50km Motatapu Icebreaker starting at Glendhu Bay, Wanaka on 
March 14 and finishing in Arrowtown will conclude the tour. 










No comments:

Post a Comment